Saturday, January 17, 2009

The REFS and the magic strike again

Accountability, that's the word of the day. Sadly, I continue to watch Laker games and can't help but feel infuriated and ripped off by the 3 smallest assholes on the court. In case you didn't notice the title, I'm talking about the refs. WTF is going on that the referees feel the need to screw the Lakers over at nearly every chance they get?

Sure, being a ref is not the easiest job and there are always going to be missed calls and errors but it's getting to the point now where I dont even want to watch the games because I know that if the lakers don't completely destroy a team, the refs will probably destroy them.

There are always going to be those tough calls that could be easily and honestly missed but where is the consistency? One would think that since the lakers can be consistently victimized by bad calls throughout whole games that just as often they would get the benefit of some bad calls.

I hate to say it but I'm at the point where I would like to see the opposition get screwed by little whistle-blowing nazis every time they meet the Lakers.
All I'm really asking for is fairness and consistnecy. It's a sad day when myself, a die-hard Lakers fan could referee a Laker game more fairly.

Where's the accountability? I know that there are people whose jobs are to review all the calls made by all the refs but do they actually do anything? I've never once heard of a ref getting fired for suspicious, or neglegent conduct(obviously besides that moron Tim Donaghy, who was cought gambling on games that he worked)

Tim Donaghy is a prime example of what could possibly happen when some little jerk with a whistle has too much power. Was he just the tip of the iceberg? Who knows, but something is going on here. Maybe its just hatred for particular teams, maybe it's betting, or maybe there is some form of sydrome that seems to impair the vision of referees 4 feet away from a player like Pau Gasol getting hit on the arm by the huge hand of Dwight Howard. Now unless Dwight's hands (and ELBOS) are visible only by t.v. I'd say somone has one of those problems listed above. It is somewhat magical how that same ref that goes blind when the lakers had the ball can suddenly view the most minute of touches when Orlando had the ball.

I can't even count the amount of times I have seen Gasol or Kobe get hammered with no whistle only to send a player on the opposing team to the line for a weak foul or no foul at all.

The NBA needs to make some friggin changes. Maybe do like the NFL and give the coaches a few challenges to use when they see fit. Or some limited instant replay. I hate anything that slows down the game too much but I am sick and tired of seeing teams getting shafted by one or many bad calls.

I guess the Lakers just have to step their game up and stomp teams so badly that the refs can't determine the outcome. In the end, things will probably never change, unless it starts to loose money for the league. As I type this line, the replay airs on the news and is over as soon as it began, if only karma worked that fast.

I just hope that the Lakers and the refs do a better job when they meet Boston or whoever it might be in the Finals(I'm still pissed about games 1 and 2 last year).

No comments: